Now that we’re in the thick of October, there’s nothing more comforting than layering on your wool sweaters, lacing up your leather boots, and walking through some crunchy leaves outside on a crisp autumn day. If you need to take a few minutes to warm up and fill up, check out the bites and beverages at these spots:
1. Get your gourd fix in the form of pumpkin hummus at Ema. 74 W Illinois.
2. Have a pumpkin feast at Chez Moi, featuring pumpkin soup, pumpkin ravioli, andtrout with wild rice in a roasted mini-pumpkin. 2100 N Halsted.
3. Pumpkin seed pesto sits atop a sandwich with capicola, mozzarella, and giardiniera at Publican Quality Meats. 825 W Fulton Market.
4. Don some liederhosen and tackle Scofflaw’s schnitzel sandwich, with bacon-spring-onion jam, apple slaw, and a fried egg, all on a pretzel bun. 3201 W Armitage.
5. Warm up with some pumpkin soup topped with Jarlsberg cheese and brioche croutons at Tortoise Supper Club. 350 N State.
6. Dig into a Chicago classic, a slice of the Oh My! Caramel Pie, at Beatrix. 519 N Clarkand 671 N Saint Clair.
7. Head up to Baker Miller for their take on a national staple, the apple crumble pie. 4610 N Western.
8. Check out Zullo’s at Green City Market for their hot-out-of-the-fryer apple cider donuts. Lincoln Park at Clark and Stockton.
9. Lincoln Park’s Floriole Café and Bakery doesn’t hold back: pumpkin cream cheese danish, pumpkin pie with brown-sugar meringue, gingerbread pumpkin tart, and pumpkin tea cakes. 1220 W Webster.
10. Start your day off right with either the pumpkin spice pancakes or the caramelized apple hotcakes (or both?) at Bongo Room. 1470 N Milwaukee, 1152 S Wabash, and 5022 N Clark.
11. Rise and grind with HI-VIBE Juicery’s pumpkin spice bulletproof coffee. 160 W Kinzieand Merchandise Mart, Suite 200.
12. In its Jackass O’ Lantern Pumpkin Ale, Spiteful Brewing has what we consider to be the best Chicago-made pumpkin beer. 1815 W Berteau, and throughout the city.
13. And with the top marzen in the city, grab a pint (or can) of Oktoberfest at Revolution Brewing. 2323 N Milwaukee (brewpub), 3340 N Kedzie (brewery), and throughout the city.
14. Heed George R.R. Martin’s omnipresent warning with the Winter is Coming cocktail, made with pumpkin, gin, and cider, at Lillie’s Q. 1856 W North.
15. The Dawson, as always, doesn’t hold back on the seasonality with the Ghost Town Fizz, its special autumnal spiced cocktail. 730 W Grand.
Let us know if we missed any of your favorites (email@example.com), and stay tuned for more info on the best that Chicago has to offer